Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Fish Tacos


A few weeks ago, I had Mahi Mahi fish tacos at The Chart House in Alexandria, Virginia.  Since then, I've been re-inspired to make my own version at home (I get inspired each time I eat fish tacos in a restaurant, but had yet to make them myself, until now).  I'm a huge fan of Tilapia, which I used in these tacos, because it is so versatile (not too fishy in terms of taste, mild, so you can make it with any flavors), is sustainable (good for environment and your health--less pollutants in the fish itself), and is very light and healthy.  This recipe makes for an amazingly healthy meal..and it tastes awesome.
This recipe is adapted slightly from Martha Stewart's.


Ingredients:
1/2 Cup Fat-Free or Low-Fat Sour Cream (organic)
3 Tbsp. Lime Juice


2 1/2 - 3 Cups Cabbage, Red or Green (I used green, pre-bagged)
2 tsp. Dried Chives (or 2-3 scallions, thinly sliced)
1/3 Cup Fresh Cilantro or 2 Tbsp. Dried Cilantro
2 tsp. Chili Powder
1/2 tsp. Cumin
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
2 Tbsp. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
14-18 oz. Tilapia Fillets (or other white fish, like Mahi Mahi or Cod).
Black Pepper and Sea Salt, to taste
8 Tortillas (your preference what type--corn vs flour, I used whole-wheat flour ones)

Guacamole or just slices of Avocado (I served my guacamole, minus the tomatoes)


Directions:
1.  Mix together the sour cream and lime juice in a large bowl.  Place half of the mixture into a separate, small serving bowl and set aside.
2.  Add the cabbage, chives, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, and black pepper to the large bowl with the sour cream mixture.  Stir or toss well to mix together.

3. Cut each fish fillet into 4 strips length-wise and then cut each of those strips into 3 pieces (12 strips per fillet).  Season lightly with sea salt and black pepper (optional).
4.  Over medium high heat, warm olive oil and red pepper flakes in a large skillet.  Add half of the fish pieces and cook about 5-7 minutes (2-4 minutes on each side), or until fish is no longer opaque.
5.  Heat tortillas per your package's instructions.
6.  Fill each tortilla with fish and cabbage mix.  Top with reserved sour cream mixture and guacamole.  Serve immediately.


You could also add in some black beans or serve them on the side.


Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy